Sunday, July 26, 2020

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways 1:48 - Part 4

In the last post, I left off after adding most of the internal detail to the boat. Here we'll pick up by adding he bowsprit. The piece tapers toward its forward end, and is fixed in place by two brass pieces, painted black to look like iron. The oarlocks have also been added in. These are just thin metal rods glued into small holes and painted red.


You can see in this shot the traveler has been added to the stern of the boat - the black metal rod to  which the boom sheet will be attached.


Here is a shot of the mast, the boom and the gaff.


The rudder has some decorative elements on it, matching the friezes along the sides of the boat.


Here are some of the accessories that will sit inside the boat. A bucket (not included with the kit) a second handle for the windlass, the anchor (made of white metal) and the oars. The kit comes with 10 oars, but I'm only including four of them, so that they don't hide the interior details.


Here is a test mock-up of the boat sitting on a base, atop a couple of steel rods. The mast has been set in place but not glued. 


And here the mast has been glued in place, the boom is attached to it by a small metal hook in its end, and the rigging has been started. I've attached the shrouds and the boom halyard and sheet.

The kit comes with its own deadeyes and blocks, but I purchased new ones from Syren Ship Model Co. They are a nice upgrade in quality, and I think well worth the additional expense.


Next time, rather than go through the rigging process step by step, I'll post pictures of the finished model.

2 comments:

  1. great job I am working on this.It is my 1st.what size are the blocks you replaced. they look amazing for the scale. i just took all the planks off mine. thanks for your log

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you like it. I bought 3mm blocks and 4mm deadeyes from Syren Ship Model Co. Also three different types of rope. The quality of their accessories is really top notch, and I would definitely recommend them. The guy whose company it is was the designer of this kit, Chuck Passaro.

      Delete