Sunday, May 7, 2017

15mm WW1 Germans - Peter Pig

When the 15mm French figures I've been working on hit the table, they will be staring across no man's land at these guys. These are Peter Pig's 15mm German line, specifically those in the mid to late war style steel helmets. As such they can represent German soldiers from mid 1916 onward.


Here is the unit as it exists so far:


Infantry charging with bayonets:


Infantry in firing positions:


And a team of 'bombers':



For the Mg 08 I drilled a small hole in the flash shield and added a small piece of brass wire to represent the end of the barrel (as cast, the model ends with the guard itself). I also shortened the ammo belt of the assistant so that he could sit closer to the gun and fit on the base size I had chosen. The gun is cast as one piece with the gunner, and there is no hollow space between the legs of the gun stand. But if you paint the 'empty' space black and carefully pick out the positive detail I think the effect is nice.




It was a very fast and simple 'conversion' to add a small piece of brass to the top of one figure's rifle to turn him into a sniper. In the TFL rules Through the Mud and the Blood designated individuals can operate as normal riflemen until they are detailed off to operate as snipers, at which point special rules kick in for them.


And here are the Big Men. Because this is one of Peter Pig's earlier lines, there is not a separate pack of NCOs/ officers (though there is a set of 'high command' figures). Each infantry set includes a commander figure.




12 comments:

  1. Wow again...I can't believe your paintwork!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much J Jackaman, I'm glad you like them. I need to paint up a few more figures on both sides, and then I should be ready to start in on the terrain.

      Delete
  2. Wow love these. Thank for the pictures. What colors did you use for the uniforms?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Lekw. The base coat for the jackets is a mixture of Citadel's Death World Forest (which is sort of an olive color) and a medium gray. Then it gets a light coat of black wash, and highlights applied with the base color and then a brighter highlight of the base plus a little white. The trousers are just that same medium gray, a black wash, and the gray reapplied as a highlight.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the info may try my hand at some mid to late War Germans myself. Your stuff looks amazing. I love Peter Pigs WWI stuff and hope you got more in the pipeline.

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look incredible! what size bases are they on? I've been wanting to get into 15mm scale for a while but haven't decided whether to base them individually or in sections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you like them. They're based on 15mm wide plywood discs, with magnetic bottoms. On the gaming table, I use sabot style bases to hold a group of figures, so that I can remove individual casualties, and create groups of different compositions. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete