Wednesday, January 27, 2016

1:1200 10 Gun Schooner - Langton Miniatures

Langton Miniatures' 10 Gun Great Lakes schooner is small even by the standards of 1:1200 miniatures. Many such vessels were built on both the American and British sides in their race to achieve domination of the land locked waters so important to their strategies in the War of 1812. Their size and firepower were diminutive, but they were a step up from the flotillas of gunboats that plied the waters in such numbers, and were not likely to encounter the powerful frigates seen on the open seas.

Langton offers several different versions of this ship, the other carrying fewer carronades but a large pivot gun mounted in the center of the deck (see below in the picture with three vessels).

I've sanded down the hull a great deal to make it sit more realistically in the water, and built masts from brass tube. Rigging is done with nylon paintbrush bristles. The model has Langton brass ratlines, a Langton metal sea base, and is mounted on a plastic sheet with a magnetic layer on the bottom for ease of transport and storage.







The mode is seen here with Langton's 6 gun Great Lakes Schooner with Pivot Gun, and a kit-bashed 32 gun Xebec frigate, also Langton.


12 comments:

  1. More incredible work. I love seeing your blog entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much WR, I'm glad you enjoy the models. I've got a few more on the way from this line.

      Delete
  2. Love your tiny ship! Looks very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Bartek, it was a fun model to work on.

      Delete
  3. Another supperb job James. I have the whole Great Lakes Langton line but haven't attempted one yet. You inspire and give me incentive to start on them. You set the bar pretty high!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Vol, I'm very glad to hear I help give you incentive to make your own beautiful models. I really enjoy seeing your work, so anything I can do to promote that is good in my book!

      Delete
  5. Very nice of you to say. I look forward to yours as well. It was your models that got me into this in the first place you know. I am currently working on a Navwar 40-gun frigate Venus. I'll post when I'm done. What is your next ship?
    Regards,
    Vol

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vol, I look forward to seeing that frigate when it's done. Your own work helps keep me inspired and moving too. I was planning on doing a little single masted sloop next, but got distracted on another 10 gun schooner, although this is the larger one from Langton's normal Napoleonic line, not the little Great Lakes pieces. Hope to have it done fairly soon, but we'll see. Keep the beautiful work coming!

      Delete
  7. Sorry James. I don't know why my posts are duplicated. I swear I only post once.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete