Monday, July 16, 2012

Le Superbe - GHQ 1:1200

Below are a bunch of pictures of GHQ's 1:1200 model of Le Superbe, a French 74. Even in this small scale this is an uncommonly attractive ship - even as just a water line model I find its lines more graceful and appealing than most. It was also nice to get away from yellow and black checkers for a bit!

It is particularly satisfying for me to see this one completed. I had just completed the rigging for the first time when it took a tumble off the table. The rigging performed its function and the masts were unharmed, but the cords were stretched and no longer taut. Turns out rigging is even more stressful the second time around. But it's done!






3 comments:

  1. Very nice...base is great too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could get my water and ship's wake to look like that!
    Vol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you guys like the base, the biggest thing is the wash. I paint the base color a medium greenish blue, and make pretty light highlights with a dry brush. Then I just slather on a lot of Citadel blue wash - it tints the highlights and settles nice and dark in the troughs of the waves, giving it nice contrast. Then I give it a of gloss varnish.
    James

    ReplyDelete